Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday, Dec. 13th!

In so many ways, life is not what is used to be. I'll leave it at that because a list of differences to our life in SF could go on and on. By and large the changes are overwhelming good, mostly encapsulated by our really good and more balanced home life here. However, at this moment I am lamenting the fact that I can't go to my closet (because they, first of all, don't exist as much here and they would be called cupboards) and pull out another kid's bubble bath, tube of toothpaste, facewash, bar of soap, and the list keeps going. We are out of so much stuff. I am down to using the dried up toothpaste, created by my children's indiscretions, that remains around the tip of the tube--my thumb can press out no more. I could have shopped a bit in the past few days but I have been sick and prioritized many other things such as slowing down. I hate to say this but sometimes I miss the impact that Costco had upon my life--the endless back up plan of a multi-pack or ginormous serving of something. But alas there is no space for that and I have to admit, we are more environmental because of it. It's not a car that goes to the shops here for us, it's legs or a bike.

Perhaps we have now located the camera cord but I will forgo that for now (I am tired) and get on with dispensing the details of our day.

You guessed it! Chocolate chip pancakes for starters. Then the kids worked on Christmas cards which is quite a huge deal here. They are given lists of their classmates and pretty much expected to bring in cards cuz that's what everyone does. We made some for Luci out of construction paper scraps because she had started off crying because of the inequity of J having some pre-fab and her having none. Well then Jesse was in awe of what we had made and wanted to get in on our making action.

But that's for another day with him because Darren and Jesse then worked on producing a cd of songs the kids had recorded, complete with me scolding them in the background for one movement. Jesse could not have been more into it (read impatient at some points) but overwhelmingly well-behaved and contributing to all of it. He is in at an interesting stage at this point. He is totally into joking. He doesn't say "I joked you" so much anymore but everything is part joke--like when you tell him he can't have anymore bananas, he says (with a twinkle in his eye and reaching hand) "okay mummy, I'll have another banana. Cute, but driving me crazy a lot because he doesn't actually get to the disobedience part but I have to repeat my statement to assure him I will not tolerate disobedience. He also does some good jokes and is lots of fun. But he also has carried the cutting board with bread and jagged knife next to it into the lounge to say "Okay, anyone want some bread" I am trying to teach him that it is not a joke if it involves disobedience or danger. But I love that he loves to be goofy. I just get tired of talking and sometimes I'd rather channel his energy (and mine) into some sort of tickle fight or wrestling..

Have a cough that involves wheezing sounds so I'm going to bed and hoping I have some scraps of a voice to sing in church tomorrow.

No comments: