Friday, April 04, 2008

Movie Night

As a few of you many know, Friday night is the night when we eat pizza, watch a kid's movie and eat popcorn. Which reminds me of a funny of Luci's last week. I rented the movie Lassie from the library and she just kept referring to it as Mango over and over. At first, Darren and I were like, HUH? But, of course, it makes perfect sense since she and her brother have been treated to mango lassis in Indian restaurants forever and ever.

I find I am always thankful for movie night because just when you think your life is boring or that you are uninspiring, just drop the words, "pizza, pocorn, and movie" and the enthusiasm generated in your children will make you feel for a moment that your are hot stuff.

Today was supposed to be a coordinated day--you know, one of those where your little schedule of events works smoothly. But alas, not buses came for 20 minutes so instead of hitting up the bank, we moved to event #2 which was riding on a little 20p train (the kind that bobs up and down in front of storefronts) and going to the library cafe which has a fabulous view of the neighborhood which includes the hospital helipad and the trains coming from Whitechapel station. Unfortunately this event #2 had been in the plans to serve as bribery for carrying out event #1 with my children and so for a while I had to get my head around just enjoying the moment even though the task of getting to the bank was not going to be accomplished for another several hours. That was because I needed to swing home quickly after the library and switch from stroller to wagon to go to Lulu's school for a parent/teacher conference. However, the hot chocolate at the library cafe was too hot to imbibe quickly which slowed down the time of arrival at our house so I had to call and cancel my parent-teacher conference. I could have killed myself to get there, sweating and running with the wagon but I was so over pushing myself today. Sometimes I feel I can push myself no longer after having mobilized with the kids and dog for multiple events. Throw a mood swing/temper tantrum in and that can really change the terrain also. Jesse was moody right as we arrived home from the library so I determined that I was just out of the game on making it to the parent-teacher conference.

However, we did make it back to the bank in the midst of this amazingly brilliant and sunshiny day. (Picture Jesse and Luci wandering around in short-sleeves and Peanut panting.) We then went to Stepney Green to exercise Peanut and ourselves. The whole day was filled with gorgeous weather and I can't believe how spoiled I am to have the trees behind me starting to break open with white buds. I can only imagine how beautiful it will be soon.

Tonight as I beckoned the children to clean up the toys with me before the pizza Jesse said, with a smile on his face, "Man mom, you treat us like slaves, making us pick all this stuff up!" I have to say that that really tickled me. However, I was able to share with him the concept of "How do you think I feel!?"

A note of interest: Wagons are definitely an American thing. For a while, I thought maybe this might be true but I thought no, the looks from people are about how loud or how wide on the sidewalk we are. I am comforted to know that these most likely were not the thoughts. (My English friend Hannah also informed me that they seem to be an American thing as her American friends are considering a wagon.) They are, as I have been fortunate enough to hear them, "Oh, well that's an idea", "Now that is the way to go", and "Where did you get that?" The latter question being quite frequently asked. I can't believe that I am in the position of having the cool gadget. If only I could start a wagon importing business.......

1 comment:

Chris said...

Please post a picture of the wagon!