When I went to feed the cows today, it was nice to notice that there were 4 instead of the usual 3. A calf (about Peanut's size) had been born over the week-end! It was adorable--Luci and I had to jump a fence to get a good view of it though as it was taking cover between two of the cows probably because Peanut was around. Glad to encounter life, instead of death, at the farm today.
It was fun having Luci there. She did very well with her task of holding the hose and filling up the water containers for the chickens. She must have filled up at least 8. She also visited the bunnies while I was busy doing certain things. In fact, I don't think she really noticed that I actually had her locked into the cages at a couple of points just to keep the door shut and therefore, Peanut out. She really wanted to visit this one bunny who was enclosed with an assertive chicken but I could not let her after my experience with the chicken. I had gone into the cage to feed the bunny and then realized I needed to make space in the dish for the chicken feed so I pushed some to the side and as I did that the chicken bit my arm, probably in fear that I was taking the food away. I also had one chicken in a full cage of chickens who had some bone to pick with me so as I entered and reentered the cage, he would give a good, hard peck at my right boot. I'm starting to actually really like these chickens and their personalities but I would prefer to not be bitten again.
It was nice to be on my own today (don't know what Francisco was up to) and really figure out how to do everything, as well as how long it takes. In my beginner stage, it would take me about 3 hours to do all the feeding and arranging like putting the 2 lambs which need to be bottle-fed, outside for a bit and letting the geese and ducks into their pond, since they have to be locked up at night in order to not get eaten by the foxes. There are so many animals at the farm, it is hard to actually remember them all. Have I listed them all? Here goes: donkeys, chinchillas, ferrets, ducks, geese, sheep galore, pigs, miniature pigs, goats galore, chickens galore, bunnies, guinea pigs, and cows. But Luci and I did have a good time together admiring the animals. When she was watering the chickens, she kept saying, "We're farmers mummy, aren't we?"
Happy Birthday to my dad who is the big 68 today but whose answering machine will not take my serenade! So Dad Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment