We had about 12 inches of snow in less than 24 hours, starting yesterday, so the kids' schools were cancelled and I was home with them today. I was going to keep them home anyway since this is not a common occurrence but it was great to have the council's blessing.
I cannot tell you what a different neighborhood I experienced today. From morning to night, children and fairly grown people were throwing snowballs at each other and the few cars going by. It was awesome to see some head coverings cast aside by young women as they opted to run around smashing each other with snow. Jesse and Luci were in and out and I was putting on their gear and then taking it off to place on the radiator more times than I can count. I was wishing for a sled and some waterproof gloves, but this is not weather that we are prepared for.
The night before, our friend Rory, who just moved in around the corner, came into our house whispering "Darren" (and it sounded exactly like Rory whispering) to announce that we had left our keys in the door and to invite us to go tobboganing at Hampstead Heath today. I decided that that adventure was out for the humans today but that if he wanted to take Peanut, he could gladly take her. So Peanut had a day away at the Heath with Rory and a family, and came back tired and (Jennifer skip this part) with a bloody toenail due to a little run-in with the escalator at the Tube station.
Today was so much fun. We built a snowman in the backyard with lots of care--walnuts for eyes, parsnip for nose, raisins for buttons, and of course a knit-hat and scarf. After the snowman lost its identity under a further couple inches of snow, Jesse smashed him to pieces, no permission asked, just with all the thrill of an excited boy.
We also saw lots of friends--Yvetta and her kids from across the street, my friend Yasmin and her 2 who came over, a friendly boy named Ike from upstairs, and my friend Noel who came kidless to drop off some baby clothes for me. Our parking lot, concrete courtyard and estate were filled with children and intermingling neighbors and in the words of one mum, "It is great--we've spent more time with the neighbors than we ever do during the summer." I have seriously never seen so many people on our estate, and I know it was that way all over town. It was also pleasant to have no cars on the road.
My highlight was opening the door to let Jesse in after he'd had a brief evening romp in the snow tonite, to be greated with a snowball in the face and a big burst of laughter.
I'm peopled out and going to bed and will have pictures for tomorrow.
1 comment:
I saw your London snow on the evening news. Looked like everyone was enjoying the winter wonderland and I'm glad you all did, too. (especially a day away for Pea)
I'm also glad I wasn't trying to get to your flat because it seems like every mode of transportaion was having issues.
Post a Comment