Sunday, January 25, 2009

In Between the Coughs

Sometimes I blog in my mind and never actually get around to blogging....so sorry if I repeat myself.

Darren has been back now from SF for a bit but I feel it has taken us a while to settle back into our normal routines. Sure, there was routine, as the kids always go to school and as we regularly have meetings but D was sick a bit and jet-lagged and I was coughing and recuperating from trying to do all these stupid details to be able to begin a nursing class (don't ask) and everything just seemed busy. I'm also on this thrust towards getting particulars done in the house before the baby comes. Actually I'd like to get them done quite a while before the baby comes--like purchase a bed frame for us, find a Moses basket, paint some walls (trust me it's not just a preferential color change, it business that needs to be finished.) I am already excited about getting rid of maternity clothes just so they don't take up room here.

The kids have been mostly great. Luci is so fun and crazy and I'm not sure I like the fact that she will be turning 4 soon. Somehow I fear the maturity of 4 will take away her spirit, but alas, I don't think we are actually at risk for that. I love how her getting dressed in the morning has become slightly more ordered lately since she has taken to laying out her outfit, as it would appear on her body) on the floor--complete with jewelry, shoes, and hair decor. (I can't imagine how she'll cope with a school uniform come September.)

We had a second Christmas (in terms of opening presents) since D came back. He came back with a load of gifts from his side of the family for everyone and we had a second whirlwind of wrapping paper all over the lounge. Luci got a white fairy outfit from Nana and Jesse has been helping Luci get dressed up in it. I love when Luci wants to present herself to us as a princess and it consistently includes her holding her pink cell phone that Jennifer discarded (gifted) to her in one hand. Truly a modern-day princess must be able to be in contact with all her friends at any time from a pink phone!

Jesse has taken to reading in bed with his flashlight at night and pretty constantly saying he doesn't fall asleep easily any more. However, he fell asleep instantly tonight. Maybe that's because he and I had a date to the Tower of London this afternoon with some friends. He was pretty engaged with the swords, armor, guns and related games they had on display as much of the exhibits we walked by included those items. I believe I heard, "yay, I just killed a bunch of people!" come from his mouth today. I assure you that he is a very tender spirit that sings, draws, and likes silly poetry. One of the things I am thinking about lately though is how to find a regular outlet for his boyishness, especially after a day at school. He loves to horse around at the playground but is not up for joining football club. Though I'm not sure I will continue to let him decide on that because when my furniture is being jumped on or I am barely avoiding being socked in the stomach because of all this pent-up energy, I wonder "Who is in charge ?"

We had the Hayes girls (10 and 15) stay at our house for 2 nights and a day this week-end while their parents were on a retreat and it was a blast. Those girls have an amazing way of relating to our kids despite the age difference and I think I may actually have done a bit of sleeping in due to Alexandra reading stories to the kids this morning. Darren and I also got to stay up somewhat late with them last night teaching them Settlers of Catan. And I think I taught Alexandra to knit though sometimes I am not even sure I really know how to do it myself. Anyways, the Hayes girls' visit was enjoyed by all and our kids are not used to having so much attention--they were spoiled in a way.

I hope to keep up 2 things I reacquainted myself with when Darren was away--yogurt making and composting in my garden. Spring is coming and I'd like to use some of that soil, if it is that, for tomatoes, etc.

Forgot to mention that we also recently visited a birthing centre where we plan to have the next baby. I'm quite excited about the massive tubs and amazing facility. I'm hoping I'm not coughing when the due date rolls around as I am really sick of a recurring cough. My neighbor hasn't even seen me recently but referred to me as being sick the other day when we bumped into each other--I guess she hears the hacking cough from upstairs in her flat and was wondering what was wrong with me. I have no other symptoms, just that and the consequential headache from volume and force. Good thing that it is virtually gone now.

1 comment:

Paul Nix said...

pamela...

i hear you on maternity clothes being so annoying because they just take up space in your life!! mine have permanent been just a pile in a bag on my dresser & it kinda makes me crazy....

yay for yogurt making...i'm eating some right now for breakfast that i made...and every time i make it i think of you my dear friend across the sea

as for the hacking cough...i'm with ya, still kinda have one lingering since thanksgiving & i'm just kinda hoping it doesn't make me barf during labor...coupled with the sorta stuffed up nose that's gonna make it hard to breathe...joy

okay, love you friend
mj