Saturday, March 01, 2008

Peanut, Ambassador of Peace

Peanut and I have been buddies over the last several days in the fun and not fun moments of being stuck home alone with my 2 children. We have been managing together. She might not be helping with dishes or discipline but we are psychologically managing together. I know the look in her eyes...

Our neighbors (by this I mean our borough) in general do not like dogs. They clear to the other side of the sidewalk, sometimes stepping out into the street though she is on the lead. That's why it's so refreshing to find those energetic elementary boys in the park, who are one part intrigued by Pea and one part pleased at their bravery, that want to throw the ball with Peanut. We found one today who was happy to roam with us through Stepney Green and throw the ball. (This is so great for me because the novelty of a new person keeps Peanut slightly more distracted from the chicken bones and exercising more.) This boy finally tired of it, when Peanut tired. We were on the playground at that point where there were unusually large crowds of young men hanging out and around. There's usually a bunch but I would say there were about 3 groups of 10, with more in the backgroud which was tinged with some hostile testosterone. It doesn't make me too nervous because I have a dog and most of these kids are softies, but sometimes there is marijuana smoking (Aaaah, smells just like home in SF) which is just annoying. One group happened to be right where Peanut was lurking outside the fence and so they nonchalantly took to throwing the ball. (I happen to know that most of these guys cower, but try not to look like they are, when walking past Pea by themselves.) They asked what my dog's name was and were sucked into conversation with Luci who is always willing to talk about her dog.

I find these interactions satisfying in a way because it the potential trouble that brews when you are young, bored, and uninspired.

Now I'm tired. We went to a birthday party at a community center for about 5 hours. (Picture loud music, loud kids times 40 plus 30 adults.) The kids sucked up a bunch of sugary foods and drinks, ran around a ton, and have now crashed in their beds. I am grateful to hang with some of the school mums but I don't prefer big parties and really don't think I love my kids enough to EVER do a party like that no matter how much they begged!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love the idea of you and peanut sharing "a look" --- it is good to know that you weren't completely on your own with the kids! :-) Speaking of that -- so glad to hear that Darren made it home safely and you are getting a LONG deserved rest --- You are my hero!!
Lotsa Love! -S