Sunday, March 22, 2009

One Last Pregnancy Rant--maybe?

Soooooooo....one day before the due date is where we're at. This baby's so late! Compared to the other 2 of course, Jesse who came a week early and Luci who came 2 to 4 days early, does anyone remember?

Up until this point I've been a bit frustrated that he hasn't come--perhaps it's mostly related to the constant inquiries that would be more interesting on the other side of things as well as, this forward movement by us to get the house in order, do this, that, and every other thing. I am sick of all that for now (though I really need to replant my salad greens with that potting soil before he comes) and I am ready to get back to life as NORMAL though of course there is irony in that thinking. But maybe I could grab a lady friend for a quick coffee?

I shouldn't be complaining but say, if I did, what would my complaints be? Well, it would be that I'm slightly tired of a bum stretching the middle of my abdomen, tired of being called Brave for venturing anywhere--really?

Actually, pause for a funny story: My friend Shajna and I were shopping at Petticoat Lane market, a place for deals especially when it comes to a winter coat NOW which I thought would be a practical purchase given the thinning of the money with a 3rd and the fact that my other one completely fell apart. When I pulled off my black trench the guys selling the gray winter coat I had my eye on jumped back and said "WHOA!" One said, "When you due? and Shouldn't you like be at home?" and the other one whose exact words I can't remember jovially conveyed the sentiment, "Should you, big lady, be trying on that quite smaller coat?"

And on another note, it really is funny the way we (I do it too) try to engage in conversation with pregnant people. I had an interaction at the library with a lady who, trying to catch my eye said, "You having twins?" I, smiling, and thinking she was ridiculous, said "No." She said, oh "When are you due?" I said "in a few days." To which she said, "Quite small aren't you?" The thought from then on was "When can I get off this elevator?"

Oh yes, back to complaining......these things have provided a level of entertainment but I think I am ready to move on. Though if the "lateness" of this child has anything to do with his mild, quiet, laid-back temperament that I am hoping he will have, I am very happy to wait around. I will also be sad to never hear what a "neat bump" I have around here. I love that little English expression, though I have to ask, "What is the opposite?" A sloppy pile?

For some reason, I am extremely hyper right now, and actually haven't had a load of sleep due to my size and congestion. Darren was saying that I flipped over so rapidly in bed during the night that it was scaring him. To which I say, "Have you seen those sea lions at Pier 39 in San Francisco?" Clearly they cannot use little effort and move slowly to flip their 300 pounds plus over--it takes momentum.

I will have to post some end-stage pregnancy pictures.............

5 comments:

Carrie P said...

oh man, i feel for you. those comments from people get annoying!! though part of me was wistful i would never hear them again. and YES take some end stage pregnancy pictures for us in CA :) And - yes - isn't it funny we are "brave" to do anything largely pregnant?? Especially if you have the other 2 kids with you. People think you are amazing. Don't people all over the world do that though?? haha. Hope he comes soon. And by soon...I mean..TODAY!! :)

sfitz said...

This is one of the funniest posts you've written probably because most of my laughter is because I can completely relate! It is so hard having the expectation of being early and then reach that point and go past it... I'm so sorry! But you look fantastic! I will be praying for peace and a quick and healthy labor, and for that to happen as soon as possible. LOVE YOU!

jeannie said...

Aw, Pam you are so hilarious sometimes! Though I can't relate, I can totally see how frustrating those conversations could be. . . hope that by the time you read this your lovely new baby boy will be here. any success at Petticoat lane? I looked there too.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the laugh today! I wish you patience with these last few days of pregnancy and may they be as short as possible! Did you get the coat? Love you!

anonymom said...

Oy. I was angry the last couple of weeks of pregnancy even though I fully expected my little one to be late, late, late.

Hopefully you are holding your little Prince as I type this. Can't wait to "meet" him.