Monday, August 07, 2006

2 Great Recipes from More With Less

These are so delicious and easy, and probably yummy together. I think I could eat them every week. And the kids love them....

Baked Lentils With Cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine in shallow 9x13 baking dish:
1 3/4 c. lentils
2 c. water
1 whole bay leaf
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. each of marjoram, sage, thyme
2 large onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. canned tomatoes

Cover tightly and bake 30 minutes.
Uncover and stir in :
2 large carrots, sliced 1/8" thick
1/2 c. thinly sliced celery (turnips worked fine for me too!)

Bake covered 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in:
1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
2 T. finely chopped parsley (I used cilantro and it was yummy)

Sprinkle on top:
3 c. cheddar cheese

Bake uncovered, 5 minutes until cheese melts.



Cinnamon Topped Oatmeal Muffins! Today I used chocolate chips instead of raisins and omitted some cinnamon and they were amazing.....I always double the cinnamon topping, use whole wheat flour and brown sugar and feel I've never sacrificed taste.

Preheat oven to 425.
Sift together (but really don't sift):
1 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Stir in:
1 c. quick or old-fashioned oats
1/2 c. raisins

Add:
3 T. oil
1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk

Stir only util dry ingredients are moistened. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Sprnkle with cinnamon topping.
2 T. sugar
2 t. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. melted butter

Bake 15 minutes. (This seems too long--I like 11 or 12 minutes)

1 comment:

Becka said...

Pam, I feel funny for being the only commenter, but I have been searching for lentil recipes lately. I think I will try this!